Wednesday, October 9, 2013

FlyLady - Check-in One

Our kitchen whiteboard helps me plan. Each week we list what
will be for dinner and what FlyLady's Daily Mission is.
They always say that babies don't come with instruction manuals. Well, life as a stay at home mom doesn't come with a manual either! It's actually a lot easier to find a book on how to take care of a baby than it is to find a book on how to take care of a household. I guess for some it may just be common sense, an easy transition, or skills you acquire throughout your life, but to me, it is a whole new ballgame.

Don't get me wrong, I know how to cook, do laundry, wash dishes, and the mundane that we all must do to get by, but when you're a SAHM, you have to learn to function in your house a majority of your day. On top of that, you have to learn to do it with a new little person constantly demanding attention and interrupting your every thought. (But it truly is my favorite job in the whole wide world.)

Rewind to a few months ago, when I told you about FlyLady.net and how I was hoping to follow this system on my journey to domestic bliss. Though my blog got put on the back burner (yet again) while I tried to regain control over certain aspects of life as a new SAHM, FlyLady has been something I was actually able to stick with. Believe it or not, the system is working; one Babystep at a time!

I still have a long way to go, but I'm getting better about letting go of perfection and instead getting right down to work. I've taken some pressure off myself and instead of the mess that is my house getting worse, it actually started looking better, thanks to my new outlook. Apparently, all I really needed was a place to start. As simple as it sounds, I just needed someone to tell me what to do.

I've found through working with this system, I am quite successful as long as a set teeny, tiny realistic goals for myself. Sometimes my goal is as small as: Take a Shower. Sometimes I think bigger and say: Redo Master Closet. I'm pleased with the progress I've made so far and am excited to keep going.

My next small step goal: Go to the post office (with an eight-month-old baby, that's harder than it sounds)
My next big leap goal: Create a household organizer

No comments:

Post a Comment